Green Eyed Monster.



During the week we (our illustrious illustration) class was asked to pick a piece of work that makes us envious.


In terms of sheer awe, the technical aspect or simply the close interaction/relation the piece of work gives you.


I could of chosen a piece of superb draughtsmanship by artists/illustrators such as Goya, Mucha, or the “stars” of 50s illustration (Rockwell, Fuchs etc...) that graced every American household in magazines, adverts and the like or modern day contemporaries such as Maya Hayuk, Seb Jarnot, Dave Mckean, Bill Carman, J J Palencar or even Joshua Petker etc etc...


To me inspiration (that 'ol green eyed monster) is like a many faceted prism sat rotating in my mind on a fancy pedestal (much like Diamonds are Forever intro, yes with scantily clad ladies gyrating endlessly...)


Instead I am going to buck the trend and pick the artist and fashion designer Issey Miyake and this piece I scanned about four years ago.

The reason I admire his piece of work is simply the subversion and twisting of the human form, warping our perception of the figure.


In making use of wire (an inorganic compound) and marrying it to a strong dynamic (Bushido) pose echoes Giacometti but with the foundations of Japanese heritage and mythology.

The wire “smoke” emanating from the figures head adds a sense of etherealism and otherworldliness, which inadvertently links to me being a big fan of Akira Kurosawa's films.


This ever-changing prism in my head holds thousands upon thousands of fractured inspirational images/thoughts/sounds/words yet is linked by a beam of light, a firing of synapses (if you will).


If I didn't enjoy Kurosawa's films or Giacometti's spindly figures my love of Miyake's fashionable figures wouldn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment